Pack your travel foods!



I always get asked about food while traveling:

What do I eat?
Do I bring food?
What do I made that easy to travel with?
How do I carry it?

I have a real simple, easy, solution. Here it is...I call it Sushi-a-go-go!

Sushi is always so great on the go for many reasons.

1. It's a complete meal. You can get your grain, veggies, and some high minerals packed in one.

2. You don't need utensils to each it and its not messy.

3. The nori almost acts as a preservative. Don't cut the sushi until you're almost ready to eat it. It will last longer. And it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Pictured above are homemade tempeh, avocado, ume boshi sushi rolls. You'll need to cook these pieces separately and put them together. 

Tempeh: Slice the pre-packed tempeh into long strips (about 6") so they fit complete across a Nori sheet. Fry the tempeh with some olive oil until golden on all sides. Add enough water to cover the tempeh and start to cook it down till it's nice and juicy. You'll also add a splash of mirin, shitatke mushrooms (dried or fresh), a piece of kombu, tamari for seasoning. Cover it with a lid so the water does not evaporate. Keep your eye on this, but it will cook for about 20-30 minutes. 

Rice: White sushi rice gets pre-rinsed well to get all the starch off. You'll see how cloudy the water gets as you run it under the faucet. You do not need to generally soak white rice or it will just turn to mush. When using short-grain white sushi rice, I generally do a 2:1 ratio water:rice. This is just enough so the rice is a tad creamy, which for me, is the easiest digestible way to enjoy it. Once you add the rice and water to a pot (with a heavy lid), you'll bring it to a boil. Add a pinch of sea salt, cover it, and bring the flame down as low a can go. The rice will cook about 15-20 minutes. Do not stir until the end!

The great thing about travel sushi, is you can prepare the ingredients the night before, and put the sushi together last minute! I use umeboshi plum paste as a little seasoning (also good to keep the sushi alkaline in the body). 

Packed in a leftover "to go" box. Yes, it's plastic but as look as you don't put anything too hot in them it's fine. Also makes it easier to dispose when it's empty.

For someone as "on the go" as me, I couldn't get through without my food.

I'm off...up up and away!

Comments

Popular Posts